***2019 Governing Board Election*** Call for Governing Board Candidates for President Elect, Treasurer, Student Member-at-Large, and Chapter Members-at-Large in the following regions: Northern Chapter, Southeastern Chapter, Southwestern Chapter, and Western Chapter.
Click HERE to apply for an open position. Application Deadline: March 15, 2019.
Governing Board members accept a commitment, personal and professional, to Michigan AEYC’s mission, vision and values, an understanding of Michigan AEYC’s objectives, organization and services, and the responsibilities and relationship of paid and volunteer staff. Governing Board members also accept shared responsibilities for the oversight of the management, public policy and development of the Michigan AEYC organization.
All elected Officers, Chapter Members-at-Large, and Student Member-at-Large are voting members of the Governing Board. They must be willing and able to:
- Serve on a voluntary basis.
- Attend all scheduled Governing Board meetings, the annual business meeting and the annual conference.
- Serve as a liaison between the membership and the Governing Board, reflecting in both directions for mutual benefit and the development of Michigan AEYC priorities.
- Serve on Governing Board committees as a resource in their areas of strength.
- Understand the policy role of a nonprofit Governing Board member.
- Become familiar with Michigan AEYC’s administrative structure.
- Demonstrate awareness of critical issues in early childhood education as well as explore potential solutions within the human and financial resources available to Michigan AEYC.
- Devote time and attention between regular Governing Board meetings to the study of data and materials necessary for decision making and communicating.
- Support and interpret Michigan AEYC to other professionals and the community at-large.
- Accept fiduciary and legal responsibility for the actions of Michigan AEYC as specified in the Articles of Incorporation.
- Submit written reports to the Governing Board regarding their activities.
- Submit budget requests for Michigan AEYC activities as appropriate.
- Pass on all pertinent information to successor upon completion of term on Board.
- Follow Michigan AEYC strategic direction and annual plan.
- Support Michigan AEYC in its commitment to be a High Performing Inclusive Organization (HPIO).
Qualifications for Governing Board Members
- Must be a current member of Michigan AEYC.
- Possess high-quality leadership skills with a commitment and contributions to the early childhood field.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to objectively consider various perspectives to guide major policy decisions of the association.
- Prefer expertise in special areas needed by the association, including knowledge of governance and group functioning, association management skills, knowledge of and/or experiences in Michigan AEYC’s affiliate structure.
- Have an understanding of multiple perspectives of the variety of professional roles held by Michigan AEYC members.
- Have the ability to be a public spokesperson on behalf of the association and its principles
- Additional criteria may be determined each year by the Governing Board.
Current Governing Board Members
Michigan AEYC Bylaws (PDF)