Michigan AEYC recognizes that emerging professionals need opportunities to work and learn alongside leaders in our field. The Michigan AEYC Student Leadership Scholarship Award provides opportunities for education and leadership to an undergraduate student who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in either elementary certification with the early childhood endorsement or child development. The purpose of providing a scholarship for this student is to develop a base for future leadership both in the profession and in the organization.
This award will be given to one student each year who, through his/her academic record and professional involvement, indicate strong leadership skills in the field of early childhood education or child development. A student may apply for an award more than one time.
- A scholarship of $2000, disbursed in the fall.
- A 1-year membership in NAEYC and Michigan AEYC.
- A complimentary Michigan AEYC Early Childhood conference registration and one night lodging the year of the award.
- An opportunity to work with leaders in the field of early childhood education and child development (i.e., attending Governing Board meetings, mentoring, participating in regional or statewide events.)
- Applicant must be pursuing their first post-secondary bachelor’s degree.
- Applicant must have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours (or the equivalent) by the start of the next academic year (August 2019).
- Applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher, and a GPA of 3.25 or higher in early childhood education courses.
- Applicant must be pursuing a bachelor’s degree with a major or minor in one of the following areas:
- Child Development (Family and Community Services, Children and Families, Child Care, Family Studies)
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education with an early childhood endorsement
- Applicant must be attending, or registered to attend in Fall 2019, an accredited bachelor’s degree granting college or institution based in the State of Michigan.
- Applicant must be available for a possible phone interview during mid to late February, 2019.
Application and Attachments: (Responses and attachments will be scored competitively based on completeness, accuracy, and quality of expression.)
- Application (online)
- Responses to questions- help the committee get to know you and understand your interest and commitment to the field of ECE with your thorough and engaging responses. Be sure to include details and influences on your thinking.
- Copy of all college transcript(s)
- Copy of current class schedule (and courses planned for Spring and Summer 2019 if applicable)
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals not related to the applicant. Applicant should get permission for a possible follow-up phone call by the Awards Committee.
- One letter must be from a faculty member who has taught the applicant in his or her class in the area of Child Development or Early Childhood Education.
- One letter may be from a work or volunteer experience, or a second faculty member.
Review the scholarship scoring rubric here.
2018 Student Leadership Award Winner
2nd 2018 Student Leadership Award Winner